It is frustrating.
You are always told that you should do search engine optimization for your blog or website.
The problem: Search engine optimization is always presented as a science. As highly technical. As complicated.
But it is only partly:
With the following measures, you can get thousands of visitors a month through Google, even if you do absolute You are a technology layman.
And without even getting close to a keyword.
1. Write epic masterpieces
Write articles with at least 1,000 words. Better even more.
Google loves long and detailed articles.
I often achieve better ranking with long articles than with short ones. Studies by ahrefs, Backlinko and HubSpot also show a strong correlation between the number of words and the Google ranking:
Four reasons why:
- Long articles naturally cover more search terms (even if you don’t explicitly pay attention to which ones to include). The longer the article, the more feed for Google.
- They cover more search intentions and are more likely to solve search engine users’ questions or problems.
- They tend to attract backlinks rather than short articles.
- They are shared more often
But be careful!
Your blog articles shouldn’t look like one in the end cheaper Wikipedia copy,
It is no use if quantity comes at the expense of quality.
Then search engine users will leave your blog article as quickly as they came – and your rankings will drop due to negative user signals.
Don’t just write articles that are long and answer many questions about a topic. Save yourself unnecessary definitions and long FAQs that no one cares!
Answer the questions that are really important. Pay attention to the needs of your target group. Stir up emotions. Tell a story. Don’t hold back your best tips.
Turn any blog article into an epic masterpiece!
A practical example:
When I wrote my article 200+ WordPress plugins in the GDPR check, I did zero thought of SEO.
My main idea was to help as many people as possible.
With the result that the article received more than 40,000 clicks via Google (and it was linked over 300 times and shared well over 1,000 times):
Pro-Tip: Take enough time for each article to make it as good as possible. Don’t try to punch one article a day or several articles a week. You may only be creating one or two epic blog articles a month. But that’s okay.
2. Structure your blog articles
Be honest. How many blog articles do you read to the very end?
Probably the least.
The main reason for this is (as you can imagine) a boring writing style. The second most important is the formatting and structure of your blog articles.
Ellenelong, nested sentences tarnish the joy of reading. And enormously.
Just like paragraphs that just don’t come to an end (and could come from a school essay or a doctoral thesis).
You should pay attention to these 10 points in your articles:
- Equip your blog articles with sub-headings (h2, h3 etc.)
- Use numbered lists, bulleted lists and tables.
- Write shorter paragraphs and shorter sentences.
- Add pictures, videos, audio files or other media to your blog articles.
- Add a table of contents to them
- Use Italic font and Bold font economical (use paragraphs instead to emphasize certain points)
- Give your readers the structure you promise in the headline (if you promise instructions with ?7 steps?, they will also give you instructions with 7 numbered steps).
- Font not too small or too large
- Font stands out well against the background
- Sufficiently large line spacing
The great thing is:
This will not only make your readers happy, but also Google.
If you write well-structured and readable articles, you are already 80% ahead of your search engine competition.
Google also rewards a good structure with a better display in the search results, e.g. B. with site links under the meta description:
3. Focus on these 6 types of items
Finally accept it.
People don’t care about you. People are only interested in their own goals and problems.
No one on Google says ?What did blogger XYZ do on May 14, 2018? (unless you are Kylie Jenner).
Someone who enters a search term on Google wants to know something, find out, learn, do something or has a problem for which he is looking for a solution.
So solve his problems and help him achieve his goals!
And write the 6 types of blog articles that do just that, such as: B .:
- Advice articles and guides (the ultimate guide to low-fat nutrition, the 10 best tips for Berlin, 11 tricks to make food last longer, etc.)
- Tutorials and how-tos (make clay yourself, how to install WordPress in 5 minutes etc.)
- Test and experience reports
- Product comparisons (iPhone 8 Plus vs. Samsung Galaxy S8, the 3 best children’s backpacks)
- Knowledge and lexicon articles
Simply by writing more of the item types listed, you will get more visitors via Google.
Even if you don’t bother and search for keywords for it.
4. Outreach is King!
Your blog can look great. And your blog articles are awesome and epic.
You need backlinks for good rankings. If you don’t have it, your blog articles will be stale on the second or third page on Google forever.
But there is a problem:
How do you get backlinks if nobody knows you and your blog?
The answer: from other bloggers from your niche.
There are no better and more relevant backlinks than from other bloggers who write on topics similar to yours!
4.1 Contact us
There are good outreach and bad outreach.
A bad outreach is sending out thousands of emails to other bloggers and asking if they would link your oh-so-great article on XYZ.
Please dont do this.
Begging for links (or other forms of attention) always a bad strategy.
If you want to draw someone’s attention to you, you must first:
Give, give and give again!
These strategies have proven successful for a successful outreach:
- Link blog articles from other bloggers (keyword: Content Curation)
- Share the blog articles of other bloggers on Facebook or Twitter (don’t forget to tag them!)
- Create a blog roll
- Organize blog parades (or take part in them)
- Comment on other blogs (add a comment to a blog article with your own experiences and other useful tips, please without a link to your own article!)
- Offer your help
- Offer guest article slots (or become a guest author on another blog)
- Ask other bloggers if you can interview them
- Write compilations of the best blogs in your niche
4.2 No one night stands!
Another important tip before you plunge headlessly into the fray:
Make a list of 10-20 bloggers you would like to work with in advance.
Make sure that they fit well with your target group and focus on long-term To build relationships with them. Do not write a guest article or comment and then leave it alone.
Build a small network with bloggers who support each other.
In this way you not only gain new links regularly, but also new knowledge, new perspectives, new motivation and maybe even new friends.
5. Install a caching plugin
You don’t need to know or understand what caching is. You just have to understand one thing: it is important. Very important, actually. Because without caching, your WordPress blog is yawning slow.
And Google hates slow websites (just like your readers).
Setting up caching on your blog is easy:
Install the Plugin WP Rocket activate it and you’re done. You don’t have to do anything else.
Only this should make your blog two, three or even ten times as fast. You can test the result with GT Metrix.
Here is and example of our website with the plugin activated
No more excuses!
You may be thinking:
“Oh great, because I don’t have to deal with any technical stuff anymore.”
?Then I do these 5 measures. And that’s enough. ?
And yes, with consistent implementation you can get 1000, 300, 15000 or more visitors per month with it.
The measures listed are once again two, three or four times as efficient if you combine them with “technical” measures, such as B .:
So please don’t take this article as an opportunity to sit back.
Use it as an opportunity to take the first step and finally start with SEO!