Official Facebook numbers are published every three months in the Facebook stock market report.
- Current Facebook user numbers
- Pay for Instagram and WhatsApp
- Use of groups, Instagram stories, Facebook video, …
- Mobile user numbers
- Facebook sales
Before we finally get to the numbers, a brief explanation of how Facebook displays the numbers:
- What are “active” users? Someone who used Facebook at least once a month. That means Facebook does not only list registered accounts here. But you should pay much more attention to how many people use Facebook every day. You can find this number below.
- They’re all fake users, aren’t they? No! In every stock exchange report, Facebook gives figures on this.
- What is the source for the data presented here? The stock exchange report, the documents can be found here.
- What are “mobile users”? Anyone who uses Facebook via the smartphone app or the mobile version. Anyone who only uses this route is a “Mobile Only” user.
- Does Facebook add up the user numbers of the different platforms? No, so far Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp have always been specified separately. It can be assumed that many people use several of the platforms at the same time, but there is also a large proportion that does not.
But now to the last numbers:
Facebook user numbers January 2020 (Q4 / 2019)
The first official Facebook user numbers in 2020 are:
- 2.9 billion people use at least one Facebook service per month (FB, IG, WA, …)
- 2.3 billion people use at least one of these services every day
- There are 129 million active Facebook users in Africa – 98% connect via mobile of which 17.6 million are in South Africa.
- There are 140 million active companies on Facebook (based on small businesses)
- 4 million companies advertise with Instagram story ads
- 21.1 billion sales in the last quarter (25% + on the previous year)
Here are the details from the stock exchange report.
Users across all Facebook services: 2.9 billion people
Facebook now knows the users across the various services. That means these numbers include Instagram, WhatsApp and Oculus. Over 2 billion people are active on these apps every day:
Facebook users and sales
66% of users are active on Facebook every day. There are 139 million users in Africa of which 17.6 million is in South Africa.
Facebook had $ 21 billion in revenue in the last quarter. For 2019, Facebook had over $ 70 billion in sales.
Facebook user numbers October 2019 (Q3 / 2019)
Facebook also delivered good figures in the third quarter of 2019.
- 2.8 billion people use one of the Facebook services (Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger)
- 2.2 billion people use at least one or more services every day
- 1.62 billion daily active Facebook users (+ 9% in one year)
- 140 million companies are active on Facebook
- $ 17.7 billion in sales in Q3 2019
- 28% more revenue from ads than a year ago
- 94% of ad sales are mobile
A little more specific:
1.6 billion daily users, 16.9 million in South Africa
2.4 billion active users.
$ 17.6 billion in sales.
Facebook user numbers July 2019 (Q2 / 2019)
Facebook has to pay a hefty penalty to consumer protection in the US and implement some new data protection mechanisms. Everything else is going pretty well:
- Facebook has 2.7 billion active users across all apps. 2.1 billion of these are active every day
- Facebook was able to increase ad sales by 28% in one year
- $ 15.6 billion in advertising revenue came from mobile advertising (94%!)
- Facebook has 2.4 billion active users
- Facebook generated $ 16.9 billion in revenue in the last quarter
- Facebook currently has 39,700 employees, 31% more than a year ago
- Facebook made $ 2.6 billion in profit in Q2 / 2019
The numbers in detail:
2.4 billion active users.
1.59 billion daily users.
$ 16.8 billion in sales
Facebook user numbers April 2019 (Q1 / 2019)
With the quarterly report in April, Facebook is attuning shareholders to major changes in the direction of “data protection” and also conceding that they might have an impact on growth in the long term.
Against the background of rapidly growing sales and traffic, this is no problem at first:
- 2.7 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger, 2.1 billion of them every day
- 1.56 billion daily active Facebook users
- 2.32 billion active Facebook users
- Facebook has 37,700 employees
- The top 100 advertisers are responsible for less than 20% of ad sales. Facebook was able to reduce its dependence on these customers.
Facebook user numbers January 2019 (Q4 / 2018)
Facebook published the first official Facebook user numbers for this year on January 30, 2019. As announced last year, the ?complete? user numbers are now being published, including services such as Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger. Here is an overview of the numbers:
- 2.7 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or Messenger, 2 billion of them every day.
- 1.52 billion daily active Facebook users (9% increase compared to the previous year)
- 2.32 billion active Facebook users
- 93% of advertising sales are generated via mobile ads
- Facebook has 35,587 employees
- 500 million people use Instagram Stories every day
- 400 million active “Facebook Watch” users. On average over 20 minutes of video consumption in watch.
- 90 million SMEs use Facebook.
- 7 million active advertisers
Facebook 2019 has the following focus:
Going into 2019, we’re focused on four priorities:
First, continue making progress on the major social issues facing the internet and our company.
Second, build new experiences that meaningfully improve people?s lives today and set the stage for even bigger improvements in the future.
Third, keep building our business by supporting the millions of businesses – mostly small businesses – that rely on our services to grow and create jobs.
And fourth, communicate more transparently about what we’re doing and the role our services play in the world.
Facebook user numbers October 2018 (Q3 / 2018)
It was a few tough months for Facebook or a tough year with criticism from all sides. Of course, something like this is also commented on in the stock market report and affects the numbers. But they are not as bad as the critics always think.
- 2.3 billion Facebook users is there.
- 1.5 billion use Facebook every day (+ 9% on the previous year).
- 2.6 billion people use Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram or Messenger (+100 million last quarter).
- 2 billion people use at least one of the services every day.
- Facebook generated $ 13.7 billion in sales in the last quarter (+ 33% YTY).
- 100 billion messages are sent every day via the various services.
- 1 billion stories are shared by users every day.
- Marketplace is used by 800 million people
- 3 million companies use WhatsApp
- There are 90 million Facebook pages.
Facebook user numbers July 2018 (Q2 / 2018)
In July 2018, Facebook didn’t just have to announce positive reports. Although the figures developed well, they fell short of investors’ expectations, which is why the Facebook share temporarily fell by over 10%. Here is an overview of some of the numbers:
- 2.34 billion Facebook users is there
- 1.47 billion thereof active on Facebook every day
- Facebook has over Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp 2.5 billion users (a user is only counted once across different networks)
- $ 13 billion in sales Facebook did last quarter (+ 42% on Q2 / 2017), of which about $ 5 billion remained as a profit
- Facebook meanwhile 91% of advertising sales on mobile devices
- about 30,000 people work on Facebook, 47% more than a year ago
- Instagram has 25 million business profiles (i.e. company accounts) and 2 million advertisers
- 400 million people use Instagram Stories, 450 million WhatsApp status
Facebook user numbers April 2018 (Q1 / 2018)
After the “data protection scandal” towards the end of March 2018, everyone was excited to see whether it would affect sales and other key figures. In short: Not at first.
“We have a responsibility to keep our community safe and secure, and we’re going to invest heavily to do that.”
Facebook wants to attack in various places:
- We’re restricting what data developers can access.
- We’re building advanced AI tools that have helped us detect and remove tens of thousands of fake accounts.
- We’re investing more in people. We are doubling our team working on security and content review to more than 20,000 people by the end of this year. And this includes content reviewers with specific language skills to detect hate speech in places like Myanmar.
- We?re also working to protect political discourse by making ads more transparent.
But now back to the official user figures at the end of the first quarter of 2018
- Facebook has 2.2 billion active users
- 1.4 billion use the platform every day
- Facebook generated almost $ 12 billion in revenue in the first quarter of 2018
- Compared to the first quarter of 2017, sales grew by 49%
- 100 billion messages are sent every day via WhatsApp and Messenger
- 3 million people use WhtasApp Business
- 3 billion minutes of video and voice calls take place every day.
- 25 million companies are active on Instagram (November 2017)
Facebook user numbers February 2018 (Q4 / 2017)
In addition to the classic figures, this quarterly report was primarily about how the platform has changed this year:
There are three major changes that Facebook is currently implementing:
– The first is prioritizing meaningful social interactions over passive consumption of content.
– The second update we announced is about making sure the information you see on Facebook comes from broadly trusted and high-quality sources, in order to counter misinformation and polarization.
– Finally, we’ve started rolling out a major ads transparency effort.
But now back to the first official Facebook user numbers that we have in 2018:
- Facebook has 2.1 billion active users
- 1.4 billion use the platform every day
- Facebook generated almost $ 13 billion in revenue in the fourth quarter of 2017
- WhatsApp is used by 1.5 billion people
- 60 billion messages are sent every day via WhatsApp
- 70 million companies use Facebook, 6 million advertising accounts
- 25 million companies are active on Instagram (November 2017)
Messenger user numbers from January 2018
David Marcus (Head of Messenger) released usage figures for Messenger at the start of the year:
- 1.3 billion people use Messenger actively
- There are 200,000 bots in Messenger
- 500 billion emojis were sent in 2017, 18 billion GIFs
- There were 17 billion video chats in 2017
- 100 million people use “M Suggestions”
Facebook user numbers from November 2017 (Q3 / 2017)
In addition to the classic figures, this quarterly report was primarily about security on Facebook:
? The most important thing I discussed was the work we’re doing to protect the security and integrity of our service. We’re investing so much in security that it will impact our profitability. I want to be clear what our priority is: protecting our community is more important than maximizing our profits. …
The figures from November 2017 at a glance:
- 2.1 billion Facebook users
- 1.37 billion daily Facebook users (+ 16% on the previous year)
- For the first time, more than $ 10 billion in sales in a quarter (47% more than last year)
- 10,000 employees take care of security on Facebook. This number is expected to double next year
- 500 million Instagram users every day, 800 million in total
- 300 million people use Instagram stories and WhatsApp status
- 20 million companies communicate with their customers on Facebook via direct messages (e.g. in Messenger)
- 6 million companies book advertising on Facebook
- 2 million companies book advertising on Instagram
- 550 million people use the Facebook Marketplace (classified ads)
- 30,000 companies use Facebook Workplace
Facebook user numbers from July 2017 (Q2 / 2017)
At a glance:
- 2 billion active Facebook users
- 1.3 billion daily active Facebook users
- 250 million daily Instagram Stories users
- 250 million daily users of WhatsApp status
- 70 million companies on Facebook
- 15 million company (profile) on Instagram
- 1.32 billion daily Facebook users (+ 17% compared to previous year)
- $ 8 billion in revenue comes from mobile ads
- The price of ads has risen by 24%
Figures from May 2017 (Q1 / 2017)
Figures from the stock market report for the first quarter of 2017.
- 1.9 billion people use Facebook actively (at least once a month)
- Almost 1.3 billion people are active on Facebook every day
- 1.2 billion people use Messenger
- 700 million people use Instagram
- 1.2 billion people use WhatsApp
- There are now over 70 million Facebook pages
- 5 million companies advertise on Facebook (advertising accounts)
- Instagram stories are used by 200 million people
- WhatsApp status is used by 175 million people every day
- 1: 5 videos shared on Facebook is a live video
- Facebook generated $ 8 billion in sales in the first quarter (Q1 2016 was 5.3 billion)
- Facebook generates 85% of advertising revenue on mobile devices (US $ 6.7 billion)
Figures from January 2017 (Q4 / 2016)
- 1.2 billion people use Facebook “mobile only”.
- Instagram has over 600 million active users. 400 million of them go online every day.
- 400 million users access audio and video chats in Messenger every day.
- WhatsApp is also growing well and now has 1.2 billion users worldwide.
- 65 million companies use Facebook Pages. 5 million companies have an Instagram business account.
- 4 million companies advertise on Facebook and over 500,000 on Instagram.
- The total turnover for 2016 was 27.6 billion euros, more than 50% above the previous year’s turnover
- For 2017, the company plans extensive investments in the area of ??employee numbers as well as in data centers and premises.
Figures from July 2016 (Q2 / 2016)
- 1.13 billion people are active on Facebook every day
- The majority (1.03 billion) of them use a mobile device
- There are currently 1.71 billion active Facebook users – 15%, more than a year ago
- Here too, the majority have a mobile device: 1.57 billion people also use Facebook on the go – 20% more than a year ago
- It is also impressive that 967 million people only use Facebook on their mobile device
- No wonder that mobile advertising now accounts for 84% of Facebook’s advertising revenue
- Facebook generated $ 6.43 billion in revenue in the second quarter of 2016, A year ago, it was $ 4,042 billion in the same quarter
- 500 million people use Instagram
- 1 billion people use Facebook Messenger, and Messenger sends 17 billion photos every month
- Over 1 billion people use WhatsApp
Figures from April 2016 (Q1 / 2016)
- Daily active users (DAUs) – Use currently 1.09 billion people Facebook every day, That is 16% more than 1 year ago.
- Daily active mobile users (Mobile DAUs) – 989 million people use Facebook every day on a mobile device. Here Facebook registers an increase of over 25%.
- Monthly active users (MAUs) – There are 1.65 billion active Facebook users. Like the daily active users, this value increased by 15% compared to the previous year. 1.51 billion of them use Facebook or only mobile.
- 82% of Facebook’s advertising revenue is generated through mobile advertising.
- 1 billion people use the Messenger WhatsApp.
- 900 million people use Facebook Messenger.
- 400 million people use Instagram.
Figures from January 2016 (Q4 / 2015)
- sales – $ 17.93 billion in 2015, 44% more than in 2014
- profit – $ 3.69 billion
- Daily Facebook users – 1.04 billion a day, 25% more than a year ago
- Total active Facebook users – 1.59 billion users were active on Facebook every month, 14% more than in the previous year
- Mobile users – 1.44 billion users are active with their smartphone every month, 934 million of them even daily
- Mobile users only – 823 million users are only active on Facebook with their smartphone, i.e. more than 50% of users
- Mobile advertising revenue – generated 80% of Facebook’s revenue in the last quarter of 2015!
- Whatsapp – 900 million active users worldwide, according to Mark Zuckerberg, it is almost a billion
- Facebook Messenger – 800 million active users (monthly)
- Instagram – 400 million active users.
- Facebook groups – 1 billion active users
- Facebook Events – 500 million active users
- Facebook pages – There are now over 50 million active “small business” pages on Facebook
- Internet.org – Facebook now provides 19 million people with Internet via the project
Figures from November 2015 (Q3 / 2015)
- 1.55 billion active Facebook users
- 900 million WhatsApp users
- 700 million messenger users
- 400 million Instagram users
- 1 billion people are active on Facebook every day
- 925 million use Facebook groups
- Over 8 billion videos are viewed every day
- 15 million people are online through Internet.org
- 45 million SMEs have their own Facebook page
Figures from July 2015 (Q2 / 2015)
- 1.49 billion active users
- 800 million people use WhatsApp (WhatsApp is counted separately and does not count towards the other Facebook user numbers!)
- 700 million people use Messenger
- 300 million people use Instagram
- 1.5 billion searches a day and 2 trillion posts are indexed in the search
- 1 billion people have access to the Internet.org project
- 850 million people use groups on Facebook
- 450 million people use events on Facebook
- There are 40 million SMEs that use Facebook pages
- 1.3 billion mobile Facebook users
- 65% of Facebook users log in daily (968 million, +17% compared to the previous year)
- Users spend 45 minutes a day in the Facebook, Messenger and Instagram app. (Without WhatsApp!)
- $ 4 billion in sales in the last quarter (+42% compared to the previous year)
- The mobile advertising business grew by 74% last year
Figures from January 2015 (Q4 / 2014)
- 1.39 billion active Facebook users
- 700 million of them use groups and 500 million use Messenger
- also 700 million active WhatsApp users
- 300 million active Instagram users
- 890 million Facebook users are online every day